In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Linda Fodrini-Johnson, MA MFT CMC, a past president of the National Association of Geriatric Care Managers (now the Aging Life Care Association) and a featured expert providing guidance in Dr. K’s Helping Older Parents Membership Program.
To help families have the best holidays possible, they discuss practical approaches to help families avoid common conflicts that come up during the holidays. They also discuss adapting the holidays for aging parents with dementia. Their talk includes:
- What are geriatric care managers (also now known as aging life care professionals)
- Why adult children should avoid telling their aging parents what they “should” do, and what to do instead
- How to handle common causes of sibling conflict related to aging parents
- How to learn more about what aging parents want for their future
- What you can do if YOU are the older parent and your adult children are concerned
- How to adapt the holidays so they work better for aging parents with dementia
- What to do if an aging parent is showing signs of memory problems but hasn’t been diagnosed
003 – Interview: Helping Reluctant Parents Address Memory Concerns
036 – Interview: Minimizing Family Conflicts & Supporting Aging Parents
- Cognitive Impairment in Aging: 10 Common Causes & 10 Things the Doctor Should Check
- Lotsa Helping Hands
- 100 Questions Grandchildren Can Ask Grandparents
- Esky Wireless Item Tracker
For more help with aging parents from Dr. Kernisan and Linda Fodrini-Johnson:
- Learn more about the Helping Older Parents Membership
- Give the gift of the Helping Older Parents Course or Membership
You can also get a PDF transcript of this episode, as our holiday gift to you: Click here for the Holidays with Aging Parents transcript!
Thank you so much for the work you do, Leslie! It has been such a help to me! This interview in particular was amazing.
I was wondering if there is a way you can provide written transcripts of your podcasts? Sometimes time or circumstances don’t allow me the ability to listen when I’d really love to.
Thanks so much!!!
Nicole Didyk, MD says
Thanks, Julie for your lovely feedback! I’m so happy to hear that your enjoyed the podcast. At the bottom of the page with the podcast, there’s a link to get the transcript: “You can also get a PDF transcript of this episode, as our holiday gift to you: Click here for the Holidays with Aging Parents transcript!” Just click on the blue letters.
Unfortunately, we can’t provide a transcript of every podcast. We hope that as the Better Heath While Aging community continues to grow, we’ll be able to offer transcripts more often.
Sally Asmundson says
This has been a great discussion. I haven’t heard you talk about the “GoWish” cards which I think are a good way to address our values and wishes. Information is available at http://www.codaalliance.org
Leslie Kernisan, MD MPH says
Thanks for sharing this suggestion!