In This Episode:
Dr. K explains what to do if you’ve become worried about your aging parent, and are trying to figure out if they need help, or are unsure of what to do next. She covers:
- What mental changes are normal as people get older, and what’s not normal
- The three types of problems you’ll want to check for
- Specific signs to check for, to detect possible memory or thinking problems
- How to tell if your parent needs more help around the house or with their daily life
- The safety red flags I usually check for
- A more respectful and effective way to talk to your aging parent about how things are going
- What to stop doing and what to do instead, to reduce conflicts
028 – When Older Parents Resist Help: 4 Tips for Better Talks
- When Your Aging Parent Needs Help: A geriatrician’s step-by-step guide to memory loss, resistance, safety worries & more
- 6 Ways that Memory & Thinking Change with Normal Aging (& What to Do About This)
- What are Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) & Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)?
Please, help me, I am Murali from India, my father age 72yrs since 3months his wait losses rapidly 3months back 88kg, now his weight 67kg, and slowly he was became on bed, since 9days he was not able to wake up from bed with out my support, if he sit on cot, slowly he felt back on cot, he was diabetes and b.p patient but bp under control, diabetes also bit control, means fasting 80, after breakfast 160, bp also under control, giving tablets for diabetes and b. P, he was not able to take food, he prefer liquid items like fruits juice, daily 3 to 4 times I am giving juice, breakfast forcely feeding, afternoon curd rice juice and night light tiffin only, and he was not able to speak.
Nicole Didyk, MD says
That sounds like a significant amount of weight to lose in 3 months. I can’t give specific medical advice over the internet, and I would advise someone in your situation to have your dad seen by a medical provider as soon as possible.
If a person goes from a full diet to consuming only liquids, this could account for a drop in weight.