In This Episode:
Dr. K explains what all family caregivers should know about decision-making capacity, especially if there’s a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia. Plus how incapacity is confirmed to activate a power of attorney.
- How to recognize signs of “mental incompetence”
- 4 decision-making abilities needed for capacity
- Why capacity is decision-specific
- Incapacity vs incompetence
- How to get an older person’s decision-making capacity assessed by professional
- How to activate a “springing” power of attorney