In This Episode:
Dr. K shares an update on the coronavirus (COVID19) situation and more recommendations to help older adults and people concerned about aging parents.
To watch the video version, click here.
This episode covers:
- The coronavirus situation today
- Key points on what Dr. K has learned about COVID so far (and what we’re still trying to figure out)
- Updates on testing & reducing COVID transmission
- If you’re wondering “Is it safe to…?”
- COVID & Older Adults: the tradeoffs we’re facing
- Nursing homes and COVID
- Dr. K’s recommendations for this summer
109 – Interview: Nursing Homes & Other Long-Term Care During COVID Times
News & Updates:
- NY Times:
- Washington Post:
- NEJM: False Negative Tests for SARS-CoV-2 Infection — Challenges and Implications
- FDA: COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- CDC: Interim Guidelines for COVID-19 Antibody Testing (includes information on test sensitivity and positive predictive values)
- FDA: Authorized Serology Tests Performance
- AARP: How to Track COVID-19 Nursing Home Cases and Deaths in Your State
- The Conversation Project COVID Advance Planning Guide
- What is a pulse oximeter
- Center to Advance Palliative Care COVID Response Resources – see info in the symptom management section.
- Learn how POLST helps frail and seriously ill adults get better care, and find out what is available for your state.
- Institute on Aging Friendship Line
- This free service provides trained volunteers to talk to older adults who are lonely or depressed; they are also qualified as a crisis line for anyone contemplating harming themselves
Leave a Reply