Like many of you, my daily life has been changed by the coronavirus situation, for personal and professional reasons.
So I’ve recorded another video commentary to share with our Better Health While Aging community.
This video covers:
- The coronavirus situation today
- Key points on what I’ve learned about COVID so far (and what we’re still trying to figure out)
- Updates on testing & reducing COVID transmission
- If you’re wondering “Is it safe to…?”
- COVID & Older Adults: the tradeoffs we’re facing
- Nursing homes and COVID
- My recommendations for this summer
The video is below, or get the audio-only through the podcast here.
(For those who have asked about transcripts: I wish I could but right now we are too short on funding; transcripts cost $1.25/minute to produce plus more time to format and finalize.)
Please stay as safe as you can, and take care!
News & Updates:
- NY Times:
- Washington Post:
- NEJM: False Negative Tests for SARS-CoV-2 Infection — Challenges and Implications
- FDA: COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- CDC: Interim Guidelines for COVID-19 Antibody Testing (includes information on test sensitivity and positive predictive values)
- FDA: Authorized Serology Tests Performance
- AARP: How to Track COVID-19 Nursing Home Cases and Deaths in Your State
- The Conversation Project COVID Advance Planning Guide
- What is a pulse oximeter
- Center to Advance Palliative Care COVID Response Resources – see info in the symptom management section.
- Learn how POLST helps frail and seriously ill adults get better care, and find out what is available for your state.
- Institute on Aging Friendship Line
- This free service provides trained volunteers to talk to older adults who are lonely or depressed; they are also qualified as a crisis line for anyone contemplating harming themselves
Related recent podcast episode: 109 – Interview: Nursing Homes & Other Long-Term Care During COVID Times
Questions? Comments? Helpful ideas to share? Please post below!