In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Michelle Allen, LCSW, about what all older adults and families should know about Medicare Open Enrollment and understanding your Medicare coverage. Michelle is an experienced social worker and geriatric care manager based in Atlanta, and is a featured expert providing guidance in Dr. K’s Helping Older Parents Membership Community. They discuss:
- The surprisingly common misunderstandings that people often have about their Medicare coverage
- The difference between traditional Medicare and Medicare Advantage plan
- What is Medigap, what is secondary insurance, and what is supplemental insurance
- How to find out just what type of Medicare coverage you or your older relative has
- How to know whether it’s worth considering a plan switch during Medicare Open Enrollment
- Why it’s a good idea to request a medication review before reviewing your Part D prescription coverage
- What to consider if you frequently spend time traveling or living in other states
- How to get free help understanding your Medicare coverage options
- State Health Insurance Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
- New York Times: “Medicare Shopping Season is Almost Here”
Transcript: Click here.
Note from Dr. K: We don’t have the funds to transcribe most podcast episodes, but we made an exception and decided to transcribe Michelle Allen’s episode because it is such an important topic.