In This Episode:
Dr. K provides updated information on the effectiveness and safety of COVID vaccination for older adults, including information on the Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson&Johnson vaccines. She also addresses FAQs about coronavirus vaccination.
This episode covers:
- How we can tell the COVID vaccines are working
- Data on how COVID cases and deaths have fallen in nursing homes and among people aged 85+
- Current COVID mortality rates in older adults
- What the latest observational studies show, regarding vaccine effectiveness in people over age 80
- What the Johnson & Johnson vaccine trial data shows, when it comes to older adults with chronic conditions
- What’s been found so far, regarding vaccine safety
- Answers to FAQs, including:
- Should I get vaccinated against COVID?
- Should my 90-year-old parent get the COVID vaccine?
- How well does the vaccine work in older adults?
- Can you get COVID if you’ve been vaccinated?
- Should you be vaccinated if you already had COVID?
- Which COVID vaccine is best for seniors? Which vaccine is safest?
- Should I worry that the vaccine might harm me (or my frail older parent)?
- When can I get vaccinated? Which vaccine should I try to get?
- If I’ve been vaccinated, is it safe to …?
- Dr. K’s current recommendations regarding COVID vaccination and staying safe given current conditions
- BHWA: COVID Vaccination for Aging Adults: What to Know & Do
- FDA (Food & Drug Administration):
- Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 Vaccination
- First Month of COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Monitoring — United States, December 14, 2020–January 13, 2021
- Provisional COVID-19 Death Counts by Sex, Age, and State
- COVID-19 Case Surveillance Public Use Data
- Nursing Home Covid-19 Data Dashboard
- Suspected Recurrent SARS-CoV-2 Infections Among Residents of a Skilled Nursing Facility During a Second COVID-19 Outbreak
- Risk for COVID-19 Infection, Hospitalization, and Death By Age Group
- CDC: When You’ve Been Fully Vaccinated
- New England Journal of Medicine:
- Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine (Pfizer vaccine)
- BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine in a Nationwide Mass Vaccination Setting (Pfizer vaccine in Israel)
- Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine (Moderna vaccine)
- New York Times:
- Uptodate.com COVID-19 Resources & Tools (Coronavirus Resources)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Vaccines to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection