In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with Professor Joseph Gaugler, PhD, an expert in family caregiving and dementia, who is on the faculty of the University of Minnesota’s Center on Aging. They discuss:
- Care to Plan, a new online tool developed by Dr. Gaugler and his colleagues, designed to help family caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias
- How Care to Plan uses an easy online 20-question assessment to create a personalized plan of support for family caregivers
- Why different families may need to prioritize different support strategies
- Seven different types of support that are known to help family caregivers: Education, Problem Solving, Support Groups, Change Your Thinking, Brain Health, Take a Break, and High-Powered Combinations
- The benefits of attending a local university-led conference about memory loss and dementia, such as the University of Minnesota’s Caring for a Person with Memory Loss Conference
- Care to Plan Online Tool (for people helping someone with memory loss)
- The University of Minnesota’s Caring for a Person with Memory Loss Conference
- Caregiver Education and Support Resources recommended by Professor Gaugler:
- Support Groups and Online Forums recommended by Professor Gaugler:
Questions or comments about the Care to Plan tool?
Professor Joe Gaugler would love to hear from your questions and feedback. You can post in the comments below, or you can email him directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.