In this Episode:
Dr. K discusses her approach to vitamin D for healthy aging, including:
- What dose of Vitamin D is likely right for most older adults
- Why she believes that most older adults should take a vitamin D supplement
- What experts such as the US Preventative Services Task Force and the American Geriatrics Society recommend
- Dr. K also addresses many common questions people have about vitamin D, including:
- What type of Vitamin D should I take?
- Do I need to have my blood level checked?
- Will Vitamin D really prevent falls or fractures?
- Will Vitamin D really prevent dementia, cancer, or premature death?
- If I’m outside a lot, do I need a vitamin D supplement?
- What should one’s vitamin D level be?
- Is a higher level of vitamin D better for you?
- Vitamin D: the Healthy Aging Dose to Prevent Deficiency & FAQs
- Vitamin D Fact Sheet (for Health Professionals), from the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements
- Getting Enough Vitamin D in Later Life, from HealthinAging.org
- Choosing Wisely: 5 Treatments You Should Question