In This Episode:
Dr. K talks with attorney Candace Heisler, JD, an expert on addressing financial exploitation and other forms of elder abuse. Ms. Heisler served as assistant district attorney for the City and County of San Francisco for over 25 years, and remains active in training various professionals to address elder abuse. They discuss:
- What it means to financially exploit an older person
- The role of trust and relationships in facilitating financial exploitation
- Why it can be hard to determine whether financial abuse has occurred
- What to do if you suspect that an older relative has been financially exploited
- The role of Adult Protective Services in investigating worrisome situations
- The difference between pursuing a criminal case versus a civil case
- What is “undue influence” and how it’s related to financial abuse
- Steps older adults can take to reduce their risk of being financially exploited
- How to reduce the risk of that a power of attorney might be misused
091 – Interview: Reducing the Risk of Power of Attorney Abuse
037 – Interview: Using Powers of Attorney to Help Older Adults
- Financial Exploitation in Aging: What to Know & What to Do
- Candace Heisler’s recommended resources:
- Legal Services for the Elderly Program
- National Academy of Medicine: Cognitive Aging: Progress in Understanding and Opportunities for Action
- The New Yorker: My Mother and Her Scammer
LORETTA AUGUSTUS says
I love your site! I have registered several times and each time I find myself seeking some of your valuable information it prompts me to give email and then I am emailed and must confirm.
Do I have to do this every time I need information? Am I missing a key step? Let me know please, so I can save you and me valuable time and energy.
Nicole Didyk, MD says
I get that prompt to sign up too, and I am not a tech specialist but I think it is just programmed to pop up like that. You should be signed up if you have added your email once. Did you confirm when you got the confirmation email? If so, then you should be all set! Thanks for signing up!
This podcast was very informative to me as my brother and I are gathering information on this topic in order to intervene with our father’s caregiver who is financially exploiting him with undo influence. I got a lot of great information and some great resources! Thank you!
Nicole Didyk, MD says
I’m so glad it was helpful and thanks for your positive feedback – it means a lot! I hope you can help your father get the help he needs.